Unravelling the conspiracies surrounding Marilyn's death

What If… Marilyn Monroe Had Lived?

In November 2023, I was presented with an intriguing opportunity to contribute to an article for All About History's bookazine titled "What If... Alternative History." The central focus of this article revolved around exploring various hypothetical scenarios related...

The Complex Truth Behind Marilyn Monroe’s Death: Debunking Conspiracy Theories and Examining the Science

TRIGGER WARNINGS APPLY While it is my preference to celebrate the remarkable life and career of Marilyn Monroe, it is impossible to overlook the widespread interest in the circumstances surrounding her untimely death. No website, fan page, or research about Marilyn is...

Marilyn Monroe’s Final Home

“Now that I’ve turned thirty-six, this is a dream come true for me—my having my own home, my own house. I have an apartment in New York City on Sutton Place, and I’m officially a legal resident of New York, but since pictures are still made in Hollywood, that’s where...

The death of Marilyn Monroe on 5th August 1962 continues to captivate and intrigue people around the world. As one of the most iconic figures in the history of British and American cinema, her untimely passing at the age of 36 sent shockwaves through the entertainment industry and sparked numerous speculations and controversies surrounding the events leading to her demise. While the official cause of death was determined to be an overdose of barbiturates, the specific details and surrounding circumstances have fueled ongoing debates and conspiracy theories. This page aims to delve into the various facets of Marilyn Monroe’s death, examining the official findings, the different theories put forward, and the lasting legacy of this tragic loss. By exploring the available information and carefully analyzing the contrasting narratives, we seek to shed light on the enigmatic circumstances surrounding the death of a timeless cultural icon.


Between 7th June and August 3rd, Marilyn had been prescribed over 740 pills. These were all signed by Dr Hyman Engelberg. The prescriptions were sold by Julien’s Auctions in 2011. 

  • Chloral Hydrate (100): A sedative used as an anaesthetic and sleep aid 
  • Librium (200): Used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
  • Valmid (100): Sedative/hypnotic used for insomnia.
  • Percodan (24): Pain reliever that is a combination of aspirin and oxycodone 
  • Lomotil (24): Diarrhoea medication
  • Dexedrine (12): Amphetamine, stimulant
  • Seconal (25): An anaesthetic and sedative
  • Tuinal (25): Composed of two barbiturate salts (secobarbital sodium and amobarbital sodium) in equal proportions. Sedative for sleep
  • Hydrozets (24): Throat lozenges 
  • Sulfa Gum: Used for sore throat
  • Darvon (24): An opioid used for pain relief, no longer available. 
  • Sulfathalidine (36): Antibiotic
  • Nembutal (25): Sedative
  • Phenergan (25): Sedative/sleep aid
  • Sombulex (100): Sedative

Invoices also show that Marilyn was administered injections by Engelberg, likely to be the “vitamin shots” that many Hollywood stars were given at the time. 

Marilyn & Dr Greenson

Marilyn had a remarkably close relationship with her psychoanalyst, Dr Greenson, who had been his patient since 1960, based on the recommendation of Marianne Kris.

Their connection surpassed the typical boundaries of a patient-and-doctor relationship. Marilyn frequently spent time with Dr Greenson’s family, sharing dinners and engaging in lengthy conversations with him almost every day. In fact, Dr Greenson had once expressed in an article his belief that doctors should be “emotionally involved in their patients’ lives” in order to establish a trustworthy therapeutic relationship.

In October 1961, Eunice Murray, Marilyn’s housekeeper, was hired on the recommendation of Dr. Greenson. The doctor had previously purchased his own house from Eunice and her husband back in 1947, and they had remained close even after her divorce. Eunice heavily relied on Dr Greenson’s guidance and simply followed “his orders,” as stated by her son-in-law, Philippe Laclair.

Interestingly, Marilyn’s home at 12305 Helena Drive bore a striking resemblance to Dr. Greenson’s own residence. Eunice selected the house in February 1962, with Dr Greenson accompanying Marilyn for approval. Many speculate that he had influenced Marilyn’s decisions, as Eunice would report back to Dr Greenson regarding Marilyn’s activities, moods, and more.

Adding to the intertwined relationships, Marilyn’s attorney, Milton Rudin, happened to be Dr. Greenson’s brother-in-law. This further exemplifies the extent to which Dr Greenson had become involved in every aspect of Marilyn’s life.

There are rumours that Marilyn had been contemplating terminating Dr Greenson’s services, as well as Eunice’s, in order to achieve greater independence.

4 August 1962

8:00 am: Eunice Murray, Marilyn’s housekeeper, arrives at Marilyn’s home. She is dropped off by Henry D’Antonio, who was servicing Mrs Murray’s car that day.

Marilyn informs Mrs Murray that she plans to spend the day with her friend and publicist, Patricia Newcomb, by the pool, as Pat is sick. Neighbours report hearing a woman coughing in the garden.

Furniture is delivered from The Mart and Pilgrim’s Modern Furniture. Marilyn writes a check to Pilgrim’s for $228.80. Marilyn’s furniture, ordered from Mexico, had been delivered to the wrong address, and bills had arrived at Marilyn’s home.

Around noon: Pat Newcomb wakes up and is unwell with bronchitis. Marilyn tells her to stay with her to “bake it out.” Mrs Murray prepares lunch for Pat (an omelette), but Marilyn refuses to eat. Additional deliveries and plants arrive.

After 1:00 pm: Dr Ralph Greenson arrives. According to Milton Rudin, Marilyn’s attorney and Dr Greenson’s brother-in-law, Dr Greenson spends most of the day with Marilyn.

2:00 pm: Joe DiMaggio Jr. calls Marilyn, but Mrs Murray informs him that Marilyn is not home.

Between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm: Eunice Murray’s car is dropped off by D’Antonio and his wife.

Around 3:00 pm: Pat leaves at Greenson’s request, followed shortly by Greenson himself.

At approximately 4:30 pm: Joe DiMaggio Jr. tries to contact Marilyn again, but Mrs Murray states that she is still not home.

5:00 pm: In 1975, Lawford claims he called Marilyn at this time, and she accepts his dinner party invitation.

5:15 pm: Dr Greenson returns to the hacienda to continue therapy with Marilyn. In a letter to Marianne Kris dated 20th August 1962, Dr Greenson writes, “I was aware that she was somewhat angry with me. She often became annoyed when I did not absolutely and wholeheartedly agree [with her]… I told her we would talk more, she should call me on Sunday morning.”

7:00/15 pm: Dr Greenson leaves Marilyn in her room, and Eunice Murray stays overnight, which she normally doesn’t do.

At approximately 7:15 pm: Joe DiMaggio Jr. finally chats with Marilyn over the phone in her room. They speak for approximately 15 minutes. He later states that he found her alert and happy. Joe Jr. confirms the time to the police by watching a live broadcast of the sixth/seventh inning of the Angels/Ontario baseball game on television.

Marilyn calls Dr Greenson at about 7:40 pm while he is shaving for dinner, happily telling him that Joe Jr. had broken off his engagement, which had been a cause of concern for her based on her own experience as a young bride.

At approximately 7:45 pm: Peter Lawford calls again to ask Marilyn to come over for dinner, but she declines. Other guests who attend are Joseph Naar and his wife Dolores, who are there from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm, and George Durgom. They order Chinese food.

A neighbour sees Marilyn throwing the ball to Maf Honey in the garden and tells Mrs Murray, “I don’t think we’ll take that drive after all,” referring to a drive recommended by Greenson.

8:00 pm: Marilyn retires to her bedroom, saying goodnight to Mrs Murray.

8:25 pm: According to police reports, Peter Lawford calls Milton Rudin, a talent manager, as he is concerned about Marilyn’s welfare. He asks Rudin to call Milton Ebbins, as stated in a Re-Interview Report by Lieutenant Grover Armstrong on 10 August 1962. According to Rudin, Lawford hears Marilyn “fading out.”

8:45 pm: According to police reports, Rudin calls Ebbins.

9:00 pm: Rudin ultimately phones Marilyn’s home and speaks to Mrs Murray, who assures him that Marilyn is fine. In her memoir, Mrs Murray later states that no one made her aware that there was cause for concern. It is believed that she didn’t want to disturb Marilyn in case she was asleep.

After 10:00 pm: Lawford calls the Naar residence (as stated by Joseph Naar in 1992) and asks them to check on Marilyn, as he still believes something is wrong. However, while they are getting ready to leave, Rudin calls and tells them not to worry, as Marilyn had been given a sedative to help her sleep by Dr Greenson.

Additional notes regarding this date:

Mrs Murray had been given a check dated 4 August 1962 for $200, signed by Marilyn. Based on information from Patricia Newcomb, Marilyn planned to terminate Mrs Murray’s services. Mrs Murray had also planned a tour of Europe in August.

Marilyn had written a note to Joe:

Dear Joe,
If I can only succeed
in making you happy –
I will have succeeded
in the biggest and most
difficult thing there is –
that is to make one person
completely happy.

The note was sold at auction in 2008. It was found in her address book and is believed to have been written on 4 August 1962.

5 August 1962

Around 3 am: Marilyn’s housekeeper, Eunice Murray, became concerned when she noticed a light still on in Marilyn’s room and received no response to her calls. Alarmed, she immediately contacted Dr. Ralph Greenson, Marilyn’s psychiatrist.

Between 3:30 and 3:45 am: Dr. Greenson rushed to Marilyn’s home and discovered her lifeless body behind a locked bedroom door. Distraught and realising the severity of the situation, he immediately contacted Dr. Hyman Engelberg, Marilyn’s physician who had previously prescribed medications to Marilyn. He arrived at 3:50 am.

4:25 am: The police were called to the scene and arrived at approximately 4:35 am to investigate the circumstances of Marilyn’s death.

5:25 am: Marilyn’s body is taken to Westwood Village before an autopsy would take place.

Approx. 7:45 am: Coroners dispatch a vehicle to collect Marilyn’s from Westwood, and she was transported to the Los Angeles County Morgue.

9:00 am: Marilyn’s body is “removed to Coroners Dept” where an autopsy takes place at 10:30 am by Dr. Thomas Noguchi, at the Los Angeles County Coroner. Afterwards, Marilyn’s body is held at the morgue pending more tests.

2:40 pm: The autopsy checklist is filled out by Deputy ME.

Sometime during this day, Joe DiMaggio arrives in Los Angeles from San Francisco. Berniece Miracle (Marilyn’s half-sister) authorises the release of Marilyn’s body.

6 August 1962

8:00 am: Marilyn’s organ, urine, and blood samples are taken.

Marilyn’s body is then released to Westwood Village, where Joe DiMaggio stays with the body until the funeral takes place on 8th August.

It is crucial to address the misinformation surrounding Marilyn Monroe’s death, particularly the deeply disturbing rumour that her body was exploited for sexual purposes during the period between her passing and the autopsy when in fact the rumours stem from the pages of a fictional novel titled Whacked, by Jules Asner.

Death Report


Death was pronounced on 05/08/1962 at 3.45 AM.

Possible accidental, having taken place between the times of 8/4 and 8/5/1962, 3.35 AM at residence located at 12305 Fifth Helena Drive, Brentwood, Rptg.Dist.814, Report # 62-509 463.

Marilyn Monroe, on August 4, 1962 retired to her bedroom at about eight o’clock in the evening; Mrs Eunice Murray of 903 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, Calif., 395-7752, CR 61890, noted a light in Miss Monroe’s bedroom. Mrs. Murray was not able to arouse Miss Monroe when she went to the door, and when she tried the door again at 3.30 AM. When she noted the light still on, she found it to be locked. Thereupon Mrs. Murray observed Miss Monroe through the bedroom window and found her lying on her stomach in the bed and the appearance seemed unnatural. Mrs. Murray then called Miss Monroe’s psychiatrist, Dr Ralph R.Dr. Greenson of 436 North Roxbury Drive, Beverly Hills, Calif., CR 14050. Upon entering after breaking the bedroom window, he found Miss Monroe possibly dead. Then he telephoned Dr Hyman Engelberg of 9730 Wilshire Boulevard, also of Beverly Hills, CR 54366, who came over and then pronounced Miss Monroe dead at 3.35 AM. Miss Monroe was seen by Dr. Greenson on August 4, 1962 at 5.15 PM., at her request, because she was not able to sleep. She was being treated by him for about a year. She was nude when Dr. Greenson found her dead with the telephone receiver in one hand and lying on her stomach. The Police Department was called and when they arrived they found Miss Monroe in the condition described above, except for the telephone which was removed by Dr. Greenson. There were found to be 15 bottles of medication on the night table and some were prescription. A bottle marked 1 1/2 grains Nembutal, prescription #20853 and prescribed by Dr Engelberg, and referring to this particular bottle, Dr Engelberg made the statement that he prescribed a refill for this about two days ago and he further stated there probably should have been about 50 capsules at the time this was refilled by the pharmacist.

Description of deceased: Female Caucasian, age 36, height 5.4, weight 115 pounds, blonde hair, blue eyes, and slender, medium build.

Occupation: actress.

Probable cause of death: overdose of nembutal, body discovered 8/5/1962 at 3.25 AM.

Taken to County Morgue – from there to Westwood Mortuary.

Report made by Sgt R.E.Byron, # 2730, W L.A. Detective Division.

Next of kin: Gladys Baker (Mother).

Coroner’s office notified. The body was removed from premises by Westwood Village Mortuary.

Autopsy Report

Marilyn Monroe’s post-mortem report provides important details regarding the circumstances and findings related to her death. The report, conducted by the Coroner’s Office in Los Angeles County, outlines the examination of her body to determine the cause and manner of death.

According to the post-mortem report, Marilyn Monroe’s body was discovered on the morning of 5th August 1962 at her residence on Fifth Helena Drive in Brentwood, Los Angeles. The examination revealed that she was 36 years old at the time of her death.

The report states that rigor mortis, the stiffening of muscles after death, had already set in, suggesting that her time of death likely occurred hours before she was found. The cause of death was determined to be acute barbiturate poisoning resulting from a high level of barbiturates in her system. Specifically, the toxicology analysis identified the presence of the barbiturates Nembutal and Chloral Hydrate in her blood and liver.

The toxicology findings indicated that Marilyn Monroe had a blood concentration of 4.5 milligrams of Nembutal and 8.0 milligrams of Chloral Hydrate, while her liver contained 13 milligrams of Nembutal. These levels were considered to be significantly higher than therapeutic levels and were consistent with an intentional overdose of the prescribed medication.

The post-mortem report also mentioned the absence of physical trauma or injuries that would suggest foul play or external causes of death such as suffocation or strangulation. Additionally, there were no indications of recent surgery or natural disease processes that contributed to her death.

It is important to note that the post-mortem report does not provide conclusive evidence regarding Marilyn Monroe’s intentions or the circumstances leading to her overdose. However, it serves as a crucial document in understanding the medical aspects of her death and supports the conclusion that she died as a result of an intentional overdose of barbiturates.

Please note that the above description is a summary and not an actual excerpt from Marilyn Monroe’s post-mortem report, as the full report is not publicly available.

Conspiracy Theories VS Facts

Sources of conspiracy theories:

    Norman Mailer: A biographer and author who openly admitted to speculating in his book about Marilyn Monroe due to financial reasons. It is important to note that his speculations were not supported by concrete evidence. Additionally, it is worth mentioning that Norman Mailer was involved in a highly publicized incident where he attempted to harm his wife.

    Anthony Summers: Another biographer who has utilized the below sources as evidence for the conspiracy theories surrounding Marilyn Monroe. However, it is crucial to approach his claims with caution, as the reliability and credibility of these sources may be questionable.

    Donald Wolfe: A biographer who, similar to Anthony Summers, relies on the below sources as evidence for the conspiracies surrounding Marilyn Monroe. It is important to critically evaluate the claims made by Donald Wolfe and consider the credibility of the sources he references.

    Robert Slatzer: Claimed to be married to Marilyn Monroe without providing any supporting documentation or proof. His association with Marilyn was primarily used to sell his story, and he is known for spreading numerous rumours regarding her death. The veracity of his claims should be carefully examined.

    James Hall: An ambulance paramedic who received payment of $40,000 to share his story with a newspaper. However, it is worth noting that his account can easily be debunked and may lack reliability.

    Jack Clemmons: The first officer to arrive at the scene of Marilyn Monroe’s death, who was later dismissed by the police force. It is essential to consider the circumstances surrounding his dismissal and evaluate his statements accordingly.

    Jeanne Carmen: Purported to be a confidante of Marilyn Monroe; however, there is no concrete evidence to substantiate the claim that Marilyn had a relationship with her. The level of credibility regarding Jeanne Carmen’s connection to Marilyn should be questioned.

    Frank Cappell: In 1964, Frank Cappell authored a 70-page booklet titled “The Strange Death of Marilyn Monroe,” which introduced the implication of Robert Kennedy’s involvement in Marilyn’s death. It is important to note that Frank Cappell held an anti-Kennedy stance, which may have influenced his claims. The credibility of his assertions should be critically evaluated.

    Lionel Grandison: A coroner’s clerk whose character was discredited following a forgery charge. He claims to have been coerced by Theodore Curphey to sign Marilyn’s death certificate, an allegation that is denied by the retired coroner. It is also important to note that clerks typically do not have access to evidentiary materials such as “The Red Diary,” thus raising doubts about his claims.

    John Miner: An attorney who conducted an investigation into Marilyn Monroe’s death. He alleges that Ralph Greenson played him private tapes featuring conversations between himself and Marilyn. However, it should be considered that decades later, he wrote a transcript based on his memory, which may introduce inaccuracies.

    Based on the available information, the known facts regarding Marilyn Monroe’s death are as follows:

    – Marilyn had levels of drugs (4.5 Nembutal and 8.0mg Chloral Hydrate) in her blood and liver (13mg Nembutal).
    – She was pronounced dead between 3:30/3:35 am on August 5, 1962, but due to rigour mortis, it is likely that she died closer to 8 pm the previous night.

    Marilyn’s cause of death was by…


    There were no visible puncture marks present that could confirm this theory. It is important to note that puncture marks typically take up to 24 hours to heal, and if a very fine needle was used, it would be even more difficult to detect.

    Some individuals argue that this is the cause of Marilyn’s death based on the absence of residue in her stomach. However, it is crucial to consider the fact that Marilyn had not consumed any food on that day, which would have resulted in the pills being absorbed rapidly into her system.

    Overall, while the absence of puncture marks and residue in her stomach may be cited as supporting evidence for this theory, alternative explanations such as the lack of food intake should also be taken into account.


    According to Marilyn Monroe’s autopsy report, it indicates the presence of faecal matter, which contradicts the theory that she was given an enema. This finding suggests that the claim of a lethal enema administered by Mrs Murray and Dr Greenson, as proposed by Donald Spoto and others, does not align with scientific evidence.

    While Donald Spoto is regarded as one of the more reputable biographers, it is important to critically evaluate theories based on scientific plausibility. In this case, the presence of faecal matter in Marilyn’s autopsy report challenges the notion of a lethal enema being administered.

    It is essential to rely on scientific evidence and thorough analysis when examining different theories surrounding Marilyn Monroe’s death. 


    The analysis of Marilyn’s blood and liver during her autopsy indicated the presence of barbiturates, which is consistent with an overdose of the prescribed medications she was taking. This suggests that the high levels of barbiturates found in her system were the result of intentional consumption.

    It is important to consider that reaching such levels through oral ingestion would require a deliberate and intentional act. The quantity of barbiturates found in her blood strongly suggests an intentional overdose rather than accidental consumption.

    Furthermore, there is no evidence to support the claim that Marilyn consumed poison. The toxicology report and the absence of other substances in her system support the conclusion that the cause of her death was related to the intentional ingestion of barbiturates.

    Based on the available information and the scientific evidence presented, the most likely explanation for Marilyn Monroe’s death is a deliberate overdose of the prescribed barbiturates she was taking.


    The official autopsy report determined that her cause of death was a drug overdose. Toxicology results revealed high levels of barbiturates in her system, consistent with an intentional overdose. There were no signs of physical trauma or injuries associated with suffocation or strangulation on her body. The circumstances and witnesses at the scene, as well as the absence of external marks, further support the conclusion that suffocation or strangulation was not involved. Expert medical opinion and the overall findings consistently confirm the cause of death as a drug overdose.


    It is true that Marilyn Monroe had experienced previous overdoses, which indicates a history of taking higher doses of barbiturates. With barbiturates, it is known that they can impair memory and make it difficult to keep track of medication already taken. This can potentially lead someone to unintentionally take more medication without realizing the consequences.

    On the day of her death, Marilyn Monroe was reported to be extremely tired, which may have contributed to her decision to take a few more pills in the hopes of getting better sleep. Unfortunately, this resulted in a lethal dosage, causing her to lose consciousness and ultimately leading to her death.

    It is worth noting that medical science and reporting practices were not as thorough during that time as they are today. The coroner may not have reported certain details because it was not common practice to do so or because the cause of death, an overdose, was already apparent.

    The intention behind Marilyn’s actions remains unknown, whether it was an accidental overdose or a deliberate act. However, what the scientific reports make clear is that she died as a result of an overdose of barbiturates.

    Marilyn was killed by…

    John F Kennedy

    The Kennedy family, including Patricia Kennedy Lawford, who was a friend of Marilyn Monroe, was located at the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port, which is approximately 3,000 miles away from Los Angeles where Marilyn’s death occurred.

    This geographical distance makes it highly unlikely for JFK or any member of the Kennedy family to have been directly involved in Marilyn Monroe’s death. The significant physical separation between the two locations undermines the idea of their direct participation in any alleged murder plot.

    Robert Kennedy

    On the 3rd of August 1962, Robert Kennedy travelled from Washington to meet his wife Ethel and children at John Bates’s ranch in California, which is located not far south of San Francisco. This information was mentioned in the Los Angeles Times.

    The Kennedy family stayed at the ranch for the entire weekend before attending the American Bar Association convention on Monday, the 6th of August. Multiple witness testimonies and photographs taken over the course of the weekend support the fact that Robert Kennedy did not leave the ranch during that time. John Bates, the owner of the ranch, explicitly stated that the attorney general and his family were with them every minute from Friday afternoon until Monday.

    Nancy Bates, John Bates’s wife, mentioned that on the 4th of August (the night Marilyn Monroe died), dinner concluded around 10:30 PM, and they retired to their bedrooms soon after.

    On Sunday, the 5th of August, Bates and the Kennedys needed to leave early to attend Mass in Gilroy, which is located approximately 100 miles from Marilyn’s home. Their attendance at Mass was reported in the newspaper the following day. Afterwards, they proceeded to drive to San Francisco, where the family stayed during the convention.

    The schedule of the attorney general and his family during that time is confirmed by an FBI file numbered 77-51387-293.

    These records and witness statements provide compelling evidence that Robert Kennedy and his family were at John Bates’s ranch and subsequently travelled to Gilroy and San Francisco, making it highly implausible for Robert Kennedy to have been involved in any alleged conspiracy or connected to Marilyn Monroe’s death.

    Peter Lawford

    Peter Lawford hosted a dinner party on the evening of Marilyn’s death. However, it is important to note that Peter’s wife, Pat Lawford, was in Hyannis Port with JFK and his family during that time. Pat Lawford returned a few days later to attend Marilyn’s funeral.

    During the dinner party, Peter Lawford made phone calls to Marilyn Monroe, as well as to other individuals, inviting her to attend. Guests Joseph Naar and his wife Dolores, along with George Durgam, were present at the party and witnessed Peter’s attempts to reach Marilyn.

    These accounts provide evidence of Peter Lawford’s involvement in trying to contact Marilyn and extend an invitation to the dinner party. However, it is crucial to recognise that their testimonies do not establish any direct connection between Peter Lawford and Marilyn Monroe’s death.

    The Mafia/CIA/FBI

    The claims made in Sam Giancana’s memoir stating that he killed Marilyn Monroe just before midnight are not supported by the available evidence. Rigour mortis, the stiffening of the muscles after death, typically set in within a few hours, suggesting that Marilyn could not have died after 10 pm. It is important to approach such claims critically, as they lack credibility and contradict established facts.

    Furthermore, Sam Giancana’s assertion that Marilyn’s fame was due to his actions does not align with historical records. Marilyn Monroe’s rise to fame can be attributed to her talent, charisma, and successful film career, rather than any individual or external influence.

    Regarding the involvement of the CIA and the Mafia in Marilyn’s murder, there is no credible evidence to support these claims. The CIA had no apparent motive to have Marilyn murdered, and similarly, there is no compelling reason for the Mafia to target her. It is important to rely on well-substantiated facts and avoid unfounded conspiracy theories when evaluating the circumstances surrounding Marilyn Monroe’s death.

    In summary, the claims made by Sam Giancana lack credibility and contradict established evidence. There is no conclusive evidence to support his assertions of involvement in Marilyn Monroe’s death, nor is there any basis to link the CIA or the Mafia to her murder.

    Eunice Murray and Dr Ralph Greenson

    The belief that Mrs Murray and Dr Greenson killed Marilyn Monroe via a lethal enema or injection is not supported by the available evidence. The presence of faecal matter in Marilyn’s autopsy report contradicts the possibility of an enema being administered.

    There are differing accounts regarding the events surrounding Marilyn’s death. According to ambulance driver James Hall, he arrived at Fifth Helena Drive to find Marilyn comatose. Some versions of the story claim that Hall managed to resuscitate Marilyn, but Dr Greenson then allegedly administered a fatal injection, breaking her rib bone in the process. However, these claims are largely based on Hall’s testimony, which has been refuted by Mrs Murray Leibowitz and lacks corroboration.

    It is important to consider that the accounts provided by Hall and Schaefer, who mentioned Marilyn being alive when she was picked up, lack supporting documentation and were not mentioned until many years after Marilyn’s death.

    Moreover, the assertion that a hypodermic needle of the size described would leave a large bruise and puncture mark is valid. Additionally, a broken bone would have been evident during the post-mortem examination, which casts doubt on the claims made regarding Dr Greenson’s actions.

    Based on the available information, the claims surrounding Mrs Murray and Dr Greenson causing Marilyn Monroe’s death via enema or injection lack substantial evidence and are contradicted by the findings from the autopsy report and the lack of corroborating testimony or documentation.

    Marilyn was killed because…

    She "knew too much"

    There is no concrete evidence to suggest that Marilyn Monroe had knowledge of or received sensitive government information. It is important to distinguish between speculation and actual evidence when evaluating claims about Marilyn’s involvement with government officials.

    While Marilyn had a connection with John F. Kennedy, it is believed to be a brief romantic encounter rather than a sustained relationship. Marilyn was not frequently left alone with government officials, and there is no substantial evidence to support the notion that her death was linked to any government secrets she may have known.

    Furthermore, Marilyn had confidantes to whom she disclosed much of her personal life. None of these individuals have come forward to claim that Marilyn’s death was related to government secrets or information. Their silence suggests that such claims are not supported by their firsthand knowledge or testimony.

    When assessing the circumstances surrounding Marilyn Monroe’s death, it is essential to rely on verified facts and credible sources rather than unfounded speculation or conspiracy theories.

    She was going to released information about her affairs with the Kennedys

    It is common knowledge that there had been allegations of John F. Kennedy’s extramarital affairs, and various women have come forward claiming to have had relationships with him. Gunilla von Post and Marlene Dietrich are among the women who have been linked to JFK, and they were not subjected to any harm or foul play.

    Pamela Turnure, JFK’s wife’s press secretary, was also rumoured to have had a relationship with him, and she, too, was not subjected to any harm.

    In the case of Marilyn Monroe, her relationship with John Kennedy is believed to be limited to a few public events and one private meeting. While it is rumoured that they had a one-time intimate encounter, Marilyn reportedly discussed this event with only a few close friends.

    It is important to note that Robert Kennedy, John’s brother, was known for his dedication to his wife Ethel and was regarded as a family man. His interactions with Marilyn were limited to public events and parties, and there is no substantial evidence to support an ongoing affair between them. Jean Kennedy’s comment, which could be interpreted as a joke, should not be taken as a serious admission of an affair.

    She was going to fire Greenson and Murray

    If Marilyn had indeed intended to remove certain individuals from her life especially ones in her employment, it is unlikely that resorting to murder would have been an effective or rational approach, especially considering the implications it would have on the perpetrator’s position or employment.

    Taking the life of a patient or employer would not only be ethically and morally wrong but would also jeopardise the reputation and professional standing of the individual responsible. Such actions would likely result in severe legal consequences, damaging their own livelihood and future prospects.

    She kept a red diary of information about the Kennedy's

    The red diary owned by Marilyn Monroe, which was sold at auction, was a daily organiser from 1961. It is important to clarify that this diary would not have contained any classified government secrets. Claims regarding its contents, particularly those related to sensitive government affairs, were made by Robert Slatzer, who had not been in contact with Marilyn since their encounter on the set of Niagara in 1952.

    Despite lacking evidence to support his assertions, Slatzer went on to make sensational claims, including a supposed marriage to Marilyn and ongoing contact with her throughout the years. These claims have been widely regarded as lacking credibility and have faced scepticism from experts and researchers on Marilyn Monroe’s life and career. When evaluating the authenticity and significance of the red diary and considering claims made by individuals like Robert Slatzer, it is crucial to rely on verified information, credible sources, and documented evidence.


    Her bedsheets were being cleaned

    Marilyn didn’t own a washer or a dryer. There are receipts and logs of every item in Marilyn’s home. 

    None of this is mentioned in the police report. The story comes from Jack Clemmons (a police officer who had been fired for slandering a US Senator with Frank Cappell) in Goddess by Anthony Summers, a book full of falsehoods.

    Clemmons and two other officers were present in Marilyn’s home for a maximum of 20-30 minutes. He wasn’t the investigating officer nor was he head of her case.

    The layout of Marilyn’s home was also somewhat different to what Clemmons claims, discovered by author Gary Vitacco-Robles. In addition, receipts show that Marilyn’s items were always sent out to be cleaned and therefore she had no requirement for a washer/dryer at home.

    Marilyn was found on her bed, with sheets. For soiled sheets to be cleaned her body would’ve been moved and new bedsheets added. Her body did not show signs of movement.

    Her neck was swollen

    Her autopsy report states her neck showed no signs of trauma. The autopsy attendant is the one who claimed Marilyn’s neck needed to be cut to reduce the swelling. However, this was never noted on her autopsy report, conducted by Noguchi, and therefore shouldn’t be considered as evidence. When looking at reports we should rely on the facts given by the Doctor undertaking the examinations at the time.

    There were no pills or residue in her stomach

    Medical examiners and researchers have stated that due to Marilyn not having eaten, the digestion of the pills would’ve happened quickly, leaving little residue.

    Moreover, as it is more than likely she passed out and was still alive, the digestion of the pills would’ve continued.

    The question is normally raised because there should’ve been SOME residue. However, when Marilyn’s body was examined some specimens were destroyed. This was common in 1962. Should the intestines have been examined fully it is likely there would’ve been traces.

    Marilyn’s pill addiction would have caused her body to “dump” the Nembutal. Noguchi may have found more evidence of the drugs further down her intestine, but he only examined the first foot (as was protocol at the time).

    If she had vomited (which would explain the lack of residue) there still would’ve been traces of the pills in her stomach and the liver levels would’ve been lower than they were. There was no vomit found on her bed.

    Evidence went missing

    After organs were examined and the cause of death was established, the organs were then destroyed. A common practice in 1962.

    Police officers have evidence she was murdereed

    Many of the police officers who worked on the case ended up fired later on such as Jack Clemmons.

    The detective who wrote The Night Bobby Kennedy Killed Marilyn Monroe knows very little about Marilyn, her life and her death. You can read April Vevea’s fact check and review here.

    Most of the evidence from the book comes from other authors with no fresh evidence.

    The police weren't called straight away

    Even today it’s not uncommon for publicity and press agents as well as the legal team of a celebrity to be informed of their client’s death before the authorities.

    It is also likely Marilyn’s doctors wanted to discuss the high doses Marilyn was being prescribed as they would be liable.

    Eunice Murray claimed Bobby had been there that night

    This 1985 interview has never been made public. Eunice Murray also changed her story based on popular theories at the time. 

    Her house had been bugged

    There has never been any bugging equipment found at the apartment on Doheny Drive.

    When Veronica Hamel claimed that 5th Helena Drive was wired there was the issue that there’s no proof that she ever owned the place, let alone paid $100,000 to get bugs removed.

    The Nunez family who bought the property in 1963 and owned it until 1980 never made these claims, despite Hamel’s 1972 claims.

    There was no glass or water for her to take the pills

    There was a glass next to Marilyn’s bed. There was also a used glass on her kitchen worktop. Many people claim that the bedroom glass was placed there by the police in an effort to cover up a murder. Some say because her water was turned off she didn’t drink any water with the pills. However, there is a photo of the water tank in her kitchen for drinking.