Influential quotes are strewn all across the internet. Many are completely anonymous, some are linked to authors, celebrities, historians and scholars. Some are completely made up with a famous person’s name attached to them. And Marilyn Monroe is no exception.
HOW DO WE KNOW SHE NEVER SAID IT?
If there is no magazine, newspaper, book (with a list of sources), interview, letter, recording or source then it’s probably made up.
Usually, with real Marilyn quotes, there is a reference as to where it came from and when it was said. Of course, some of these quotes can still be made up if they are secondhand but if it was recorded at the time, and is sourced by someone we can rely on then there’s a possibility it could be real.
THE FAKE QUOTES
- “A wise girl kisses but doesn’t love, listens but doesn’t believe, and leaves before she is left.”
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
- “Well behaved women seldom make history.” – Laurel Thatcher, a historian and Harvard professor, used this statement in a paper on Puritan funeral practices.
- “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
- “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
- “If you’re gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.”
- “I’m pretty, but I’m not beautiful. I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.”
- “This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends – they’ll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything – they’re your true best friends. Don’t let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they’ll come and go too. And babe, I hate to say it, most of them – actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can’t give up because if you give up, you’ll never find your soul mate. You’ll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life’s a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.”
- “Give a girl the right shoes and she will conquer the world.” – Bette Midler said during the 1980s in a Family Weekly article, “The spike-heeled kind. They’re not always easy to find. I firmly believe that with the right footwear one can rule the world. Fortunately for the world, I have not found the correct footwear to achieve that goal. However, shoe stores across the nation can attest to my sincere and persistent efforts in that direction.”